If you’re looking for an easy way to get more vegetables into the mouths of your family, this is it. I’ve got a houseful of picky eaters. Myself included. And I’ve created a hearty and healthy meal that everyone loves – Vegetable Beef Stew. It’s tried and tested in this house and with a few tweaks, you can even make this one keto friendly!
The best part about this one is your house will smell amazing for hours! It simmers on the stove and after you’ve done a bit of prep work, you’re done! Chop some veggies, add it all to the pot and you’ve got a delicious meal in a few hours.
Affiliate links provided – see my full disclosure here
The Best Vegetable Beef Stew Recipe
So here’s what you need for this amazing beef stew recipe:
- 1-2 pounds of beef stew meat or you can cut up your own. I buy it already cubed to save time
- 1 can of sweet corn – drained and rinsed
- 1-2 baking potatoes – peeled and cut into cubes (I cut them last so they don’t turn brown). Leave them out if you’re making this keto friendly or just plan to avoid them
- 1 cup of frozen butter peas (swap these out with green beans for keto)
- 2-3 carrots, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch round slices
- 2 cans of diced tomatoes (I don’t drain them)
- 1 carton of beef stock
- 1 package of beef stew or pot roast seasoning
- salt, pepper
- Worcestershire sauce – about 2 teaspoons
I recommend a dutch oven for this meal because, one, it’s all I’ve ever used for it, and two, it works perfectly every single time. I got mine about 10 years ago as a Christmas gift and it’s amazing! Heavy as all get out, but amazing and well worth the price!
Make Your Stew!
- Chop all the veggies and set aside, and generously salt and pepper the meat
- Preheat a large dutch oven over medium high heat. Add about 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil.
- Sear the meat in the oil for about 2 minutes – stirring after about a minute
- Add the veggies to the pot
- Mix about 1 cup of beef stock in a measuring cup with the packet of beef stew seasoning – whisk together and then pour over the meat and veggies
- Add the remaining beef stock to the pot. Enough to just cover the top of the meat and veggies
- Add in a few splashes of Worcestershire sauce
- Simmer on low for around 3-4 hours depending on how much meat and veggies you added. Stir a few times but you don’t have to do it much. Test for doneness by piercing a potato or carrot with a fork. They should be soft.
Serve with saltines (or skip the crackers for a keto friendly meal). Enjoy it hot and then reheat any leftovers for lunches! If I have time, I reheat on the stove, but I’ve also microwaved it and it turns out just fine.
My entire family loves this meal. And I mean loves it! My kids get their veggies without complaining and everyone is full and satisfied after dinner. And I’m sure you can make this year round, but for us, it’s more of a cold weather meal. And feel free to add any other veggies you like. That’s the best part about this one – you don’t have to be precise on the ingredients. Just throw some stuff in the pot, season it and enjoy a delicious vegetable beef stew!
Pin for Later!