If you’re looking for an easy way to get more vegetables into the mouths of your family, this is it. I’ve got a houseful of picky eaters. Myself included. And I’ve created a hearty and healthy meal that everyone loves – Vegetable Beef Stew. It’s tried and tested in this house and with a few tweaks, you can even make this one keto-friendly!
The best part about this one is your house will smell amazing for hours! It simmers on the stove and after you’ve done a bit of prep work, you’re done! Chop some veggies, add it all to the pot and you’ve got a delicious meal in a few hours.
Affiliate links provided – see my full disclosure here
The Best Vegetable Beef Stew Recipe
So here’s what you need for this amazing beef stew recipe:
- 1-2 pounds of beef stew meat or you can cut up your own. I buy it already cubed to save time
- 1 can of sweet corn – drained and rinsed
- 1-2 baking potatoes – peeled and cut into cubes (I cut them last so they don’t turn brown). Leave them out if you’re making this keto-friendly or just plan to avoid them
- 1 cup of frozen butter peas (swap these out with green beans for keto)
- 2-3 carrots, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch round slices
- 2 cans of diced tomatoes (I don’t drain them)
- 1 carton of beef stock
- 1 package of beef stew or pot roast seasoning
- salt, pepper
- Worcestershire sauce – about 2 teaspoons
I recommend a dutch oven for this meal because, one, it’s all I’ve ever used for it, and two, it works perfectly every single time. I got mine about 10 years ago as a Christmas gift and it’s amazing! Heavy as all get out, but amazing and well worth the price!
Make Your Stew!
- Chop all the veggies and set aside, and generously salt and pepper the meat
- Preheat a large dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add about 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil.
- Sear the meat in the oil for about 2 minutes – stirring after about a minute
- Add the veggies to the pot
- Mix about 1 cup of beef stock in a measuring cup with the packet of beef stew seasoning – whisk together and then pour over the meat and veggies
- Add the remaining beef stock to the pot. Enough to just cover the top of the meat and veggies
- Add in a few splashes of Worcestershire sauce
- Simmer on low for around 3-4 hours depending on how much meat and veggies you added. Stir a few times but you don’t have to do it much. Test for doneness by piercing a potato or carrot with a fork. They should be soft.
Serve with saltines (or skip the crackers for a keto-friendly meal). Enjoy it hot and then reheat any leftovers for lunches! If I have time, I reheat on the stove, but I’ve also microwaved it and it turns out just fine.
My entire family loves this meal. And I mean love it! My kids get their veggies without complaining and everyone is full and satisfied after dinner. And I’m sure you can make this year-round, but for us, it’s more of a cold-weather meal. And feel free to add any other veggies you like. That’s the best part about this one – you don’t have to be precise on the ingredients. Just throw some stuff in the pot, season it and enjoy a delicious vegetable beef stew!
Pin for Later!