An easy idea for a week night meal is chicken fajitas. You can control the ingredients and add as many veggies as you like. Of course, if you don’t like chicken, feel free to substitute lean beef. We have this meal pretty regularly around here. You can prep the night before and then it comes together in a flash when you’ve got hungry peeps waiting on food.
Do yourself a favor and cut up the veggies, grate the cheese, and get your chicken marinating the night before. It gives the chicken amazing flavor after soaking in all that yummy goodness all night. But don’t fret – I’ve made this one after marinating for only a few hours and it still turned out just fine!
Delicious Chicken Fajitas
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- ¼ cup lime juice
- ⅓ cup water
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp cumin
- 4 cloves garlic chopped
- 2 peppers cut into strips (red, orange, yellow, or green is fine)
- Grated Cheese
- Onions if you like - we omit them
- Cut chicken into small cubes or strips and add to sealable dish
- Add lime juice, water, olive oil, garlic, pepper, cayenne pepper, salt, and soy sauce
- Marinate overnight or for at least 2 hours
- Heat a small amount of olive oil in a medium skillet and cook the peppers until desired doneness (I let mine cook the whole time the chicken cooks)
- Heat another large skillet to med/high heat
- Add chicken and all the liquid to the pan and cook until done (sprinkle about 1 tsp cumin on while it's cooking)
- Heat several tortillas in microwave for about 20 seconds
- Fill the tortillas with chicken and peppers, garnish with all the fixings and top with salsa
This meal is seriously so easy and delicious and it’s packed full of flavor!
You can substitute whatever veggies you like, separate the chicken and make a batch without the cayenne pepper for the kiddos if they don’t like the heat, or even use beef or pork if you prefer. This recipe is so adaptable.