Keto diets are all the rage right now. Several reasons account for the popularity including success. No one wants to slog away at a diet or lifestyle change and not see results. If you’re committed to changing up your eating habits and making progress, keto is a great choice to get started! But what happens when you get hungry in between meals? You need some keto diet snacks to keep you full and satisfied so you don’t reach for the candy bars and fries.
If you’re just starting on keto, check out this post to find out what keto is all about. Learning what to cook for meals is important, but don’t forget the snacks. You don’t want to go too long without eating and reach for the wrong things. You need some keto snacks! In between meals, here’s what you need to reach for to stay committed to keto.Related Posts:
Keto Diet Snacks
Remember that committing to a keto lifestyle involves high fat, moderate protein, and low carbs. This means that most of our traditional “snack foods” are not what you need to see results. Crackers, cookies, and processed foods aren’t included. And don’t look at these as the forbidden foods that you’re being denied. Think of it as fueling your body with what it needs and wants to feel good and look good.
Mindset is part of this process. Instead of “I can’t eat that doughnut because I’m on keto”, try saying “I’m avoiding the crap that makes me feel bad”. And if you don’t think you’ll feel better, just imagine how your body feels when you gorge on cookies and cakes. Rundown, sluggish, and bloated. Choose from some of these keto diet snacks and make your body feel better when you eat between meals.
- Full fat cheese and veggies
- A slice of cheese wrapped around a piece of ham or turkey
- A handful of nuts like macadamia nuts, walnuts, or pecans
- Celery sticks and almond butter, cream cheese, or full-fat ranch (just be careful when choosing dressings so you aren’t loading up on carbs)
- Cucumbers and extra virgin olive oil with cream cheese
- Harb boiled eggs
- String cheese
- A handful of cherry tomatoes with full-fat mozzarella and drizzled with olive oil
- Cheese crisps (broil a few slices of cheddar cheese in the oven) dipped in guacamole
- Pork Rinds
Meal Prep and Include Snacks
One important part of the keto diet is meal prep. Chances are, your pantry isn’t stocked with keto-friendly meals and snacks all ready to go for the week. Take some time and write it out. You don’t need anything fancy. We use scrap paper around here. Write out each meal. Then make a grocery list based on that meal plan and do your prep work. Slice the cucumbers, cube some cheese, boil eggs, make cheese crisps – whatever it takes to keep you on track for the week. If you can get into this habit of meal prepping for the week, it’ll make life easier no matter if you’re doing keto or not.
If you’re a busy working mom like me, you know how quickly things fall apart at dinner time when there’s no plan. And I’m not judging anyone! I’ve been there, plenty of times. Probably last week or even last night. It happens to all of us. But, I will 100% say that when I make a plan and stick to it, things are smoother for mealtimes. Even if the rest of your family isn’t on a keto plan, it’s ok. You can still succeed by sticking to your list for the week.
Swaps for the Usual Snacks
- Instead of a Granola Bar – Choose 1/4 cup macadamia nuts
- Say no to fruit-flavored yogurt and choose 3/4 cup whole strawberries with cream cheese
- Ditch the potato chips – bake some kale chips instead
- Cucumber slices seasoned with salt and pepper dipped in olive oil instead of crackers
- Babybel cheese rounds with olive oil and balsamic vinegar instead of chips and dip
- Pork Rinds instead of BBQ potato chips
- Red and Yellow Peppers dipped in guacamole instead of chips and salsa
- If you need a sweet snack – this cookie recipe from gnom-gnom looks amazing!
And the book below is on my list for more ideas to keep me from straying!
Affiliate link provided – see my full disclosure here
You get the idea – It’s a bit of an adjustment from the usual snack foods that we typically think about. But, with some planning, it can be done and you won’t be left starving reaching for the vending machine! Try some keto diet snacks today and stay on track!
Pin for Later!