Adding vegetables to your diet is pretty much a no brainer if you want to eat healthier. But sometimes it’s not the easiest thing to do, especially if you don’t love vegetables. I’m a veggie lover. My hubs is not. But. I’ve found several recipes over the years that even he gives the seal of approval. This is one he actually requests! This is one of our faves and I could seriously eat this zesty asparagus every night.
Give this one a try and you’ll be hooked!
Zesty Asparagus Side Dish
- thin stalks of asparagus
- 2 tsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Trader Joe's seasoning (or any other brand that has a wide variety of flavors in one bottle)
- extra pepper if needed
- Juice from ½ of a lemon or 1 tbsp lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- Wash asparagus and snap the thick ends of the stalks off (I use thin stalks because that's what I prefer. The fatter the stalks, the longer they will take to bake)
- Line a baking sheet with foil and lay out the asparagus
- Whisk together olive oil with balsamic vinegar and seasonings in a small dish
- Pour the oil mixture over the asparagus and use your hands to toss it around
- Squirt the juice of ½ of a lemon over the asparagus
- Bake in the oven for about 20-25 minutes until desired doneness
I’ll be honest – I don’t even measure for this recipe. I just use what looks like the right amounts of each ingredient. I listed Trader Joe’s seasoning because it’s my absolute fave. But if you don’t have one of those nearby to get it, just throw in some oregano, salt, pepper, basil, thyme, garlic, whatever you have. A good mix of flavors is what you’re after. And if you don’t love balsamic vinegar, skip it. I love the tangy flavor it adds to the veggies. You can just experiment and see what you like. There’s no exact science to this recipe.
And one tip for cooking asparagus – take the washed stalks and gently try and snap them towards the ends. You can snap them all or do one and then line it up with the others and cut them.
My kids don’t love this one, however, it’s a favorite for me and the hubs. We will pretty much eat 1/2 the stalks each at dinner. So if you’re trying to get more veggies in your diet, this is a good one to pick. Any dark green veggie is full of good stuff!
Asparagus is a wealth of nutrients that are good for your bod.
It contains fiber, folate, vitamins A, C, E, and K in addition to chromium which helps to regulate your blood sugar. It’s low in calories and adding the olive oil like this recipe gives you the added benefit of the good “healthy fats” that you need.
And yep – asparagus makes your pee smell. There’s not really a cool way to say that. I could’ve used “urine” instead of pee, but is that really much better? It’s not harmful to you and it’s not making your kidneys go crazy. Here’s the technical reason from a good ole Google search:
Asparagus contains a sulphurous compound called mercaptan (which is also found in rotten eggs, onions and garlic). When your digestive system breaks down mercaptan, by-products are released that cause the strange smell.
Whatever you do, add some veggies to your diet. Your heart and your bod will thank you. Good for the waistline and the ole ticker. Keep it ticking longer. Eat good stuff.
Pin for Later!