This is a quick and easy DIY project that gives back! Pick some of your favorite herbs and make your own DIY Indoor Herb Garden! All you need are a few basic supplies and your herbs and then sit back and watch them grow. Growing your own herbs, plus it’s pretty cute, this project is a simple DIY that anyone can do.
Make your own DIY indoor herb garden in no time with this easy tutorial. A few jars, some soil, and your favorite herbs are all you need to get started.
It’s the time of year when food is fresher (thank you farmers markets!), salads are in full force, and fresh herbs will certainly come in handy. Nothing against their dried counterparts – I use dried herbs all the time, but why not grow your own?
You don’t need a sprawling garden or a ton of space. Pick your faves and get going!
DIY Indoor Herb Garden
You don’t need a ton of supplies for this project and you can use any pots or jars you like. I generally keep spaghetti sauce jars, mason jars, and similar things for crafts, vases, and projects. The real bonus is I only spent about 10 bucks for the whole project!
Projects like this DIY Spring Art or this DIY Crate (which you’ll soon see in this project!) can be made with little to no woodworking skills and very little money. Plus you’ll be proud of something you created yourself!
Supplies for DIY Indoor Herb Garden
- jars (preferably something with a wider mouth so you can get your herbs in it)
- potting soil
- tray/crate or anything you want to put your jars in, or just pop them in a window sill if you have it
How to Make a DIY Herb Garden
- Collect as many jars as you need for your herbs. I used old Mason jars, but spaghetti sauce jars work perfectly too – wash them good and if needed, you can use a little olive oil to get the sticky label residue off.
- Add about an inch or two of rocks/pebbles to the bottom of your jar for drainage. You want to do this so your roots don’t sit in water. I buy bags of rocks from the Dollar Tree for use in planters. Or round them up in your yard if you can.
- Fill the jars with soil leaving room to add your herbs. If you’re starting from seeds, fill it up.
- Loosely separate the roots from the plant and add it to the jar. I had to kind of stuff mine in there since the jar opening was a little smaller than the plant.
- Add more dirt if needed
- Tie a simple wooden tag (you can get these from any craft store) with twine and add to the rim of your jar. I just used a plain old marker to write the names, but you can get fancy if you want.
- Add some water and some sunlight and done! I, unfortunately, don’t have a window sill so I’m using the DIY crate I made (originally made to hold remotes which clearly no one uses!). And I can transport the DIY herb garden outside to get more sun during the day.
I chose oregano, basil, and cilantro because those are the herbs I use the most when cooking. And they smell amazing! Not bad for a project that cost me about $10 total and I won’t have to buy herbs all summer! Happy Planting!
This post was originally shared on The Crazy Craft Lady
Here are my top recommended and favorite planting and gardening supplies to help you create a gorgeous landscape, flower or vegetable garden.
Gorilla Carts GOR800-COM Steel Utility Cart with Removable Sides, 800-lbs. Capacity, Red
Garden carts can be a lifesaver when carrying plants, mulch, potting soil and more around your yard. This one has removable sides and can hold up to 800 pounds!
Women's Garden Gloves, nitrile coated work gloves, assorted colors. Women's Large, 6 Pair Pack
Protect your hands from dirt, thorns, and moisture with these gloves. These comes with 6 pairs!
Scuddles Garden Tools Set - 8 Piece Heavy Duty Gardening Kit With Storage Organizer
Every gardener needs a set of tools that are built to last. This set is affordable and contains all the basic tools you'll need for planting.
Kneeling Pad Extra Thick Waterproof Bath Kneeler & Garden Kneeler| XL Firm Foam Pad
Protect your knees with a durable and waterproof kneeling pad. Easy to carry and super handy.
Sloggers 5119FCGN07 Wo's, Fresh Cut Green Waterproof Comfort Shoe
Gardening shoes that are waterproof, comfortable, and can be hosed off after you're done are a must for any gardener.
3" Round Peat Pots for Seedlings - 60 Pack | Seed Starter Kit with Seed Starter Pots for Plants
Perfect pots for starting all of your seedlings.
Lifetime 60069 Raised Garden Bed Kit, 4 by 4 Feet, Pack of 3
If you want to try your hand at growing a garden, these raised bed planters are a perfect and affordable way to start. Excellent reviews for ease of assembly and durability.
Raised Bed Gardening for Beginners: Everything You Need to Know to Start and Sustain a Thriving Garden
The perfect book if you're considering venturing into raised bed gardening.
QEESTARS 2 pcs Round Plastic Resin Chain Basket Hanging Planter Hanging Flowers and Plants
Dress up your porches or patios with this set of hanging planters - includes a rust-resistant chain and hanger.
KINGLAKE 100 Pcs 6 x10cm Plastic Plant T-Type Tags Nursery Garden Labels
Keep your plantings organized with this 100 pack of garden labels.
Plant Flower Stand Plant Display Shelf Rack Shelf Bamboo Foldable
This durable plant stand is suitable for indoor or outdoor use and can display all your beautifully grown plants!
Best Funny Garden & Gardening Plants Lovers Gift T-Shirt
Because who doesn't need another fun t-shirt, right?
Muryobao Women Ponytail Summer Sun Hat Wide Brim UV Hats Floppy Bucket Cap
Protect your face and keep your ponytail at the same time! Genius!
TRG Inc Rake The Groundskeeper II
A garden rake that will rake mulch, rocks, grass, and more without damaging your plants.
Nifty Grower 100ft Garden Hose - New Expandable Water Hose
Your new plants and flowers will need water and this hose will get the job done!
FCMP Outdoor IM4000 Tumbling Composter, 37 gallon, Black
Compost is a must for giving your plants and vegetables the perfect nutrients. This bin is easy to use, easy to turn, and will last for years to come.
If you love it – pin it!
Wednesday 11th of July 2018
indoor herb gardening is an easy choice because they do not require an extreme high maintenance. Buy seeds of the different herbs such as Parseley, mint, coriander, basil, etc.