I’ve got a quick and easy craft for Christmas this year that you can make with very little money and time! This is a good one for the kiddos too and they can decorate them any way they want. You don’t need fancy skills or materials for these easy and kid friendly popsicle stick ornaments!
Every year I like to make a few new things for my Christmas decorations. Last year I made a DIY Rustic Tree, Personalized Stockings with DIY Tags and Rustic Farmhouse Crates.
But, this year, we’re keeping it a little simpler around here so me and my 8-year-old daughter whipped up these easy popsicle stick ornaments in no time. I’ve learned to keep the fuss to a minimum when doing crafts with my kiddos or they (we) get frustrated.
And these can be ornaments, stocking tags, or even gift tags. We made several different varieties of trees and snowflakes.
Easy Popsicle Stick Ornaments
- popsicle sticks
- twine or embroidery thread
- star stickers
- thin ribbon
- glitter (if you’re brave!)
- any other decor you want to add to your ornaments
- Cut your popsicle sticks if you want a typical tree shape. I used scissors because that’s what I had on hand and it worked fine.
- Lay them out and decide how many branches you want going across your trees
- Glue the sticks together in the shape you like. I did a classic tree shape and a triangle tree shape.
- For the snowflake shapes, arrange 4 or 5 sticks in a snowflake and glue them in the center of each
- Let the glue sit for at least 15 minutes or so
- For the snowflakes, we added additional glue to each stick and sprinkled glitter confetti over them for one and tiny iridescent snowflakes on the other
- For the trees, I left mine plain, and only added a star sticker to the top
- Tie a piece of embroidery thread around the top if necessary to hang
- Tie around your stocking, hang on a gift, or your tree
- My daughter also cut very thin ribbon to line her tree in green and then glued each strip down.
- She added plastic shiny circles to the ribbon for ornaments and then a star on top. She used a brown marker to color the trunk of her tree at the bottom.
And that’s it. This is a super easy but fun project you can do with the kids that won’t take too much effort. And we got so many varieties out of our sticks!
I’m hoping to make a few more of the simple triangle trees and use them for gift toppers! If you want some creative gift wrapping ideas, be sure to check out this post – so many amazing ideas!
The best part about these easy DIY ornaments was hanging out with my sweet girl and watching her make hers just like she wanted. She did all the cutting, measuring for the ribbons, and the decorating. She’s so proud of her ornament and it was a good way to spend time together. That’s one thing I’m aiming for this year at Christmas – actually enjoying the season instead of getting caught up in the stress. If things aren’t perfect, so what? I’m slimming down on the decor. Not trying to make too much or buy too much.
And cutting down the stress. See more of the ways I’m managing this here! It’s not worth it if you don’t enjoy it. I know for some people, DIY adds stress. However, if you can find what actually makes you happy, then go for it. It doesn’t have to be earth shattering and complicated. Sometimes a simple little project like these popsicle stick ornaments are enough!
Merry Christmas and don’t forget to pin for later!
You might also like:
Tuesday 4th of December 2018
Fun! These are pretty! Thanks for sharing at the To Grandma's House We Go DIY, Crafts, Recipes and More Link Party. I pinned this! Hope to have you join again this week.
Tuesday 4th of December 2018